Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Disciple's Journey

So, I'm amidst some spring cleaning/getting rid of stuff because I have too much of it, I stumbled upon an article entitled "A Disciple's Journey" by Elder Bruce. C. Hafen in an issue of BYU Magazine. It's a the Summer 2008 edition. (Don't judge me because I still had it nearly 3 years later - I used to make collages a lot). I'm pretty sure I held onto it because I wanted to read this article but just never got around to it.

I made myself read it today before it goes to the Boys & Girls Club to be used in their art projects. There was one paragraph that really stood out ot me.

"Satan may rattle us, but he cannot overcome us, for God can cast him from our presence. Lehi said 'It must needs be, that there is an oppostion in all things' (2 Nephi 2:11). So wherever you are on your journey, there will always be a reason not to go on. Don't wait until all obstacles disappear. The purely rational mind will always find a good reason to hold back, for Satan places those obstacles in our path. But opposition can strengthen us. The skills of human growth are best learned slowly agaisnt difficulty." (p. 29).

The applicaiton of this paragraph extends beyond the spirtual. One can apply this to weight-loss, school, marathon training.... It's just true. Don't wait until the obstacles are gone to move on. Ovecome the obstacles to become stronger for the bigger obstacles down the road.

No comments: