Saturday, January 3, 2009

Banos and fears

An experience I had in Banos, Ecuador just popped into my mind. My friend Jenni and I went white-water rafting down the Pastaza River. That was a big step of me to overcome that fear--I'm not a big fan of large bodies of water-- At one point we stopped at this mouth of a stream that fed into the Pastaza river. We climbed out of our rafts and made our way up the stream to a swimming hole. Many people jumped off of the rocks into the swimming pool. I, for some reason, have always had this fear of falling from Point A to Point B and wasn't going to do it. However, one of the friends of the tour guides was hanging back and talking to me...asking if I had a boyfriend, and encouraging me to stay in Banos to be his girlfriend and sleep with him...that's when I jumped.

I guess I've just been thinking about what it takes to make us overcome our fears. I'd love to think that it's something positive and inspirational that helps me overcome my fears but the reality is that I'm usually just running from something else I don't like. I have to choose the better of the two options.

No comments: