Sunday, August 8, 2010

contradictory statements

In one sentence, "I don't like to focus on looks too much."

Several sentences later: "You're not the type of girl I'm usually attracted too. (5'8'' brunette with blue eyes)"

Does anyone else see any contradictions here??

The ere of worldly standards. I understand that we all have different perspectives on what is attractive and that attraction is an essential part to any potential relationship but how often do we let our fleshly standards of beauty interfere with God's standards? How can we expect God to work wonders in our lives and introduce the right person at the right time if we're still bound by worldly expectations? I'm guilty of this, I know I am. How can we overcome our own pride and selfish desires when it comes to "attraction?"

I'm not that type of girl, I get it. God made me short and stout with flaming red hair. I have thunder thighs, beastly calves, and monstrous, hairy arms. I don't have a symmetrical face. One eye is bigger than the other. I'm well aware of these "worldly beauty flaws." But it's a shame that my inner awesomeness, what really matters, often goes overlooked because I'm not the tall, slender girl next door. I am a daughter of God. I am His creation. He loves me just the way I am. I treat my body as a temple (1 Cor 6:19-20) out of respect of his creation. I'm not overweight because I'm lazy. I eat well. I ran a marathon. I can outrun and outlift most of the girls, and some of the guys. People can't tell that at first glance. They don't realize how incredible I am. But whatever, I'm getting pretty used to being just the "really great girl with a big heart."

I guess I'm just disappointed in the fact that even the good, Christian guys are bound by these worldly desires. At least other guys will admit to wanting a girl who is "hott" instead of being ignorant of their own selfish interests.

Anyway, this whole topic came up while I was just trying to see if we were reading the same book but maybe we're not even in the same section of the library...or the same library at all. I guess I need to put this book back on the shelf and search for another. Unless someone thinks the ending might be different and is something worth suffering through the choppy middle for. (ewww, I just ended the sentence with a preposition but I don't know how to fix it). Regardless, I know that I am an awesome person. I know that I have done some stupid things and will probably do a few more stupid things in my lifetime. I know what my own struggles are. I know that I've had self-esteem issues in the past but it feels good to know that most of those are gone. I know that I am an incredible person. I have been blessed with a really big heart that you don't see in a lot of people these days. It might not always shine through. Sometimes it's clouded by my shyness but trust me, it's there. And if this heart of mine is missed out on because someone is stuck in their worldly desirous ways, it's their loss. "They say you never know what you've got till it's gone."


"Bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the ends of the earth--everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made" Isaiah 43:6-7

3 comments:

Akirah said...

You are awesome and beautiful. I definitely can relate to this. Being a thick black girl, I never really felt like certain men (Messiah guys) were attracted to me, despite how awesome I am. Their loss, I guess. Keep believing in how awesome you are. That way, you'll attract an awesome man.

Malinda said...

Thanks Akirah! I just need to have faith, not settle, and wait for the right guy to come along. I'm just tired of the ones who do find me attractive only wanting one thing from me. For some reasons curves seems to equal sex???

Preethi said...

Oh how I love this post. Especially, "I am a daughter of God. I am His creation. He loves me just the way I am. I treat my body as a temple (1 Cor 6:19-20) out of respect of his creation." You are awesome!