Monday, September 29, 2008

boys and sports

Boys and sports: two things that seem universally linked together.

I discovered tonight that when it comes to sports, all boys are the same--it runs through veins like blood no matter their race, culture, nor their AGE.

This past summer, I worked as a therapeutic day camp counselor...where we played a lot of games (and sports). While the boys (and some girls) were super competitive, the biggest problem was the accusation of cheating, constant arguing and the "he's out too."

Tonight, I played dodge-ball and two-hand touch football for the ward FHE activity. I went wondering if playing with college-aged guys would be any different than playing with young boys between the ages of 9 and 13. By the end, I concluded that it's really not. While there was less arguing, I noticed the same thing: only trying to get the good players out, or in football, throwing the ball to the "good players," and best of all, "He's out too!."

I could complain that I was open several times but was never thrown the ball, but that's not my point of writing. I can't help but to wonder if sports were always in guys' blood or if much of it has to do with the way sports have evolved in society. I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks.

No comments: