Monday, October 20, 2008

compliments

Sometime last week I went to meet with Dr. Stoker (one of my comm. professors) about a paper. Being Dr. Stoker, he asked how I was doing and if I was enjoying the program. I was honest: I love the program but am having a hard time with BYU itself. We talked about politics, my background, my family, and the huge adjustment I've had to make. He looked at me and replied, "Malinda, you seem to have made a lot of big adjustments in your life." Then he went on to list how I first went to Messiah College, how I joined the Church while I was there, how I lived in a third-world country, and then I came to BYU. He went to say that I "seem to be an adventurer" and continued to say how it's nice to have someone with a different opinion. I really needed to hear that. This Proposition 8 thing is making me feel like a social outcast. Sometimes, I wish I would have kept my mouth shut and my beliefs off of my Facebook profile. Yet, I know that in the end, I would have regretted not being true to myself. I'm not going to let the Spiral of Silence get to me.

I've been trying to write down why I don't support Proposition 8 and I've been trying to do so in a non-offensive way...it's hard. Maybe I'll take some time this week to do so (as well as work on my lyrics again). I think it would be beneficial to everyone (especially myself).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are def. a very brave woman :) And just know that there is someone in PA (me!) that def. agrees with you about the proposition 8 business. You got heart and that's what matters... stay strong
<3
Becky

Malinda said...

thanks becky!! :)

Preethi said...

I so admire your faithfulness to yourself, and your willingness to go out on a limb to learn and gain experiences to help you grow. And YES for this professor who believes in the benefit of having varied opinions. Interested in hearing your thoughts on Prop 8. :)

Can't wait to see you!