Saturday, November 15, 2008

disappointment

I always learn to put hope in God and not expect too much out of people around this time of year. I always say that I'm not going to let myself get disappointed...yet I always do. Most of it has to do with what friendship has evolved into these days. I miss "real" friends...tangible friends that I can laugh with and get hugs from.

Call me old fashioned, but I still like getting letters, talking on the phone, sending real gifts instead of virtual gifts, etc. Yes, I'm thankful for online technologies such as blogs, Facebook, IM, etc and the ability to stay in touch online with those who I most likely wouldn't do so in person but it gets old after awhile. Recently, I've frequently contemplated shutting down my Facebook profile but realized just how out of the loop I would be if I did because people depend on it for communication. What would have happened if I had never fallen into the Facebook trap during my first year at Messiah? How different would my friendships be?

Regardless of how socially acceptable it is and how grateful I am for those who do take the time to use Facebook to say Happy Birthday, Facebook birthday wishes will never generate the same warm, fuzzy feeling as receiving a tangible birthday card that I can hold in my hand, open and close, flip to the other side...or as to the feeling of a good friend calling and singing Happy Birthday on the phone.

No comments: