Friday, March 27, 2009

crazy week

The semester is coming to a close. It's been a pretty crazy week. I have just over two weeks to whip out 3 final papers - all at least 15 pages a piece. This'll be interesting.

Some days, I feel like I live on campus. I was on campus from 8am to 11pm yesterday. I came home for like an hour in the afternoon to grab some food and my books for my evening class.

I'm working on a couple really cool projects right now. My favorite being the one where I'm e-mailing ladies who have (or who are) studying abroad in Quito, Ecuador :) It's been to chat with them about their experiences. Especially with those who stayed with the same host family as me :) The interviews are fun but they are also VERY time consuming and leave me feeling kinda exhausted afterward.

Guitar lessons are going well. I'm still not very good (OK - so I haven't had a lot of time to practice lately). Brian's been teaching me a lot of chord theory lately. Sometimes, it just goes over my head but I'll figure it all out someday ;) It just amazes me how much I've learned in the past 2 months in comparison to what I learned in the $300 private lessons I took at Messiah (Oh, wait - that was NOTHING). He's good at teaching it - maybe I just do better with learning informally?

So, I have this dilemma. While I was home to be with my family after my little cousin's death, I went to the Ash Wednesday service at Otterbein. I sat with an old youth group leader and dear friend of mine and entertained her little ones for a bit. We got on the topic of guys (because at that time there was one I was VERY interested in - but he's dating someone now, so....)

"As long as he's better than the last one. He wasn't opposed to marrying more than one woman," she says.
"What?" I respond and stare at her in confusion.
"He was Mormon wasn't he?"
"Yes," I said, "but he didn't believe in polygamy. The Mormon church doesn't practice polygamy"
Then she went on about how she dated a guy who had decided to convert and told me stuff that she knew. Then asked what this guy's religious background is.
"He's Mormon too," I replied.
"Oh Malinda, you're playing with fire" and she continued with more warnings.

Ummm, apparently she doesn't know that I joined the church nearly 3 years ago. Right before the Ash Wednesday service wasn't the time to tell her. I then got an e-mail a few days later. I responded briefly and said I'd write more later - I have yet to do so. I don't feel that e-mail is the appropriate method to communicate the fact that I am Mormon to her...yet, I don't really have the time or the patience to have this conversation over the phone. I don't know what to do....


As for the guy I was VERY interested in. I've spent the past 5 months trying to figure him out. I'm giving up. I don't get him. I don't get him at all. I don't know who he is.

No comments: